This is a full-time professional position working in strategic partnership with the Executive Director to shape and execute the Alliance’s short and long-term goals. This individual will support the Executive Director in the development and implementation of the organization’s operations, administration, fund development, communications/marketing, and programs.
About New Jersey Theatre Alliance
New Jersey Theatre Alliance is the first statewide organization for professional, producing, not-for-profit theatre companies, and is a leader in developing model programs that support the professional theatres of New Jersey and build audiences. The Alliance, a 501(c)3 with an operating budget of $800,000, is comprised of a five-person team and provides its 34 member theatres with a wide range of supportive services and programs. For arts patrons, the Alliance provides a variety of services to enhance their theatre-going experience. More information at njtheatrealliance.org.
New Jersey Theatre Alliance is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status. Applicants with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and ability are encouraged to apply.
Staff Management & Human Resources
- Supervise and assist in the evaluation of Manager of Programs, Manager of Digital Communications and Marketing, and the Administrative Assistant
- Work with Executive Director to assess and update employee policies and manual
- Work with staff to ensure procedure manuals are developed and updated
- Develop, manage, and administer budgets for programs and marketing
- Manage relationship with landlord, Mayo Performing Arts Center
- Manage key vendor relationships including insurance providers, web design and maintenance, technology support, software, and equipment
Work strategically with the Executive Director to shape and manage the implementation of a successful fundraising strategy to support organizational and project development. Responsibilities:
- Manage direct mail fundraising appeals annually with follow-up communications;
- Oversee the planning and logistics of fundraisers and managing committee volunteers
- Administer donor stewardship, including acknowledgements
- Provide oversight and administration of Salesforce, the customer relationship management system
- Plan and manage development roundtable meetings with member theatres;
- Assist with the development and implementation of a cost-effective annual fund development program involving individuals, businesses, and private foundations
- Provide support in launching the Spotlight Circle, a major donor program
- Assist in the identification, cultivation, and recruitment of prospects and volunteers
- Assist in the research, identification, and solicitation of corporations and foundations
- Support the writing and editing of grant proposals and correspondence to funding partners and elected officials
Marketing and Communications
Collaborate with Manager of Digital Communications and Marketing on the promotion of programs, productions, and brands of the Alliance and its member theatres. Responsibilities:
- Work with staff and marketing committee to carry out goals outlined in the strategic plan
- Ensure consistency in all organizational communications; assess, shape and monitor communications policies and procedures
- Write and/or edit external communications, including press releases, annual report, organizational brochure, branding material, collateral, advertisements, articles, blog posts, invitations, event programs, etc.
- Create and distribute stories that send effective messages to target constituents
- Grow and refine media contact list
- In partnership with the Manager of Digital Communications and Marketing, serve as a staff liaison to the marketing committee and attend committee meetings and roundtables
Partner with the Manager of Programs and Executive Director in conceiving and overseeing the implementation of programs and services that strengthen the field, and increase membership education and engagement. Responsibilities:
- Meet with and thoroughly understand each member, paying special attention to the varying sizes, structures, cultures, missions, and needs. Develop collaborative peer-to-peer working relationships with the staff of member theatres
- Oversee and assess the design and implementation of The Stages Festival. Develop a communications plan to inform and engage theatres in the development of the Festival and assess the interest and impact of expanding the Festival to a year-long event
Member Services Continued
- In partnership with member committees, strategize and design member engagement and education sessions for staff and trustees, as well as member services
- Establish an evaluation system for all member programs and services
- Design and implement a membership survey to annually assess the economic impact of member theatres
- In partnership with Manager of Programs, serve as a staff liaison to the membership committee and attend member meetings
- Work with the Executive Director, staff, and stakeholders to implement and assess the strategic plan
- Represent New Jersey Theatre Alliance to the larger community by attending select business events, conferences and theatre performances
- Participate in regular meetings of the Board of Directors, Earned Revenue, Membership, and Marketing Committees
- A Bachelor’s degree preferred, and a minimum of 7 years experience in a managerial position with a broad range of responsibilities including communications, program development and fundraising
- Knowledge of and passion for theatre and the arts and its impact on the economy and quality of life
- Exceptional written and verbal communications skills; strong strategic thinking skills.
- Excellent computer skills. Proficiency in customer relationship management systems required; knowledge of Salesforce a plus
- Experience with MS Office and Google Suite, and content management systems (Drupal and MailChimp or equivalent a plus)
- Experience with marketing and fundraising campaigns
- A team player and an ability to work well with diverse individuals
- Ability to manage project budgets and multiple project timelines simultaneously and effectively
- Demonstrated supervisory and leadership ability
- Salary range is high 60s to mid-70s depending upon experience
- Health, dental, vision, retirement, and vacation benefits; health insurance premium for an individual policy is covered by the organization.
Candidates should submit a cover letter, résumé, a list of four references, and two writing samples to John McEwen, Executive Director by Friday, April 5, 2019. The cover letter should be no more than two pages and should describe why this position is attractive to the applicant and what about them and their work experience makes them a strong candidate. Please submit your materials in Word or PDF only, please, via email to email@example.com with the applicant’s name as part of the subject line: “Deputy Director.” No calls please.